Our graduate programs in music education, offered in partnership with Syracuse University’s School of Education, provide an environment of excellence where you can develop the understanding and skills necessary to become a competent, independent, lifelong learner and music educator.
The programs provide you with opportunities to nurture and develop optimal teaching competencies, artistry and musicianship, and philosophical, theoretical, and historical perspectives of music and music education.
We offer three graduate degrees in conjunction with the School of Education. This unique partnership encourages you to become a “change agent” who will develop innovative teaching methods and solutions within the educational system.
- The master of music (M.M.) and master of science (M.S.) degree professional programs are designed for students who already have an undergraduate degree in music education. These three-semester programs are grounded in music and educational research and diverse performance opportunities.
- The M.S. graduate-level teaching preparation program is designed for students who already have an undergraduate degree in music but not in the field of music education. The program provides a core of graduate-level courses in research, history, theory, and education as well as the opportunity to study music education topics required for New York State teacher certification in music education.
A concentration in music education is also available for doctoral students in the teaching and curriculum program.
- Full curriculum for the M.S. in Music Education Preparation.
- Full curriculum for the M.M. in Music Education Professional Certification.
- Full curriculum for the M.S. in Music Education Professional Certification.
Teacher Preparation Performance Data
New York State Teacher Certification Examinations
For the most recent annual institution report, visit Syracuse University’s School of Education.