If you love design and see yourself working in the design industry, our bachelor of science (B.S.) degree program in design studies may be right for you. The program responds to the increasing popularity and broad awareness of design and design thinking in business and society as a whole.
As one of our students, you will:
- Be educated in a broad spectrum of design applications and academic studies
- Consider the impact and influence of design in the context of the overall professional world, including many disciplines that intersect the design fields, such as engineering, marketing, journalism, entrepreneurship, and product development
- Combine your design studies with courses from across Syracuse University
- Mold our flexible curriculum to fit your interests and career ambitions
- Gain the skills necessary to become an innovative creative and a leader of cultural change in our global community
The program also connects design practices to other disciplines at the University with a strong community engagement component that is embedded in all of the existing design majors at Syracuse. You are encouraged to study abroad in your junior year at one of the Syracuse University Abroad centers or world partners.
Graduates of this program may consider careers in such areas as technical/creative sales, design management, and start-up/design entrepreneurship.
Below are the general program requirements for the B.F.A. degree in communications design.
View official major requirements.
Studio requirements: 33 credits
Studio electives: 9 credits
Academic requirements: 15 credits
Academic electives: 57 credits
Art/design history requirements: 6 credits
Art/design history electives: 9 credits
Total Credits: 120