Application information and requirements for the Department of Film and Media Arts master of fine arts (M.F.A.) degree programs in art photography, computer art, and film are listed below.
- The final application deadline has been extended to February 15 for fall admission (regular deadline February 1).
- To be considered for merit-based awards, please submit your application by February 15.
- Department of Film and Media Arts programs currently do not offer spring admission.
Completed applications must include:
- Online application.
- Portfolio and artist statement. Refer to the bottom of this page for portfolio submission information and requirements.
- Three letters of recommendation. Consult online application for details.
- Academic transcript. Unofficial transcript uploaded to the online application. If you are admitted, an official, degree-bearing transcript must be mailed to the University. Applicants must complete a U.S. bachelor’s degree (or its equivalent in another country) before starting a graduate program.
- Personal statement/essay. Describe in approximately 500 words your main academic interests, why you wish to study for the degree you have chosen, why you wish to study at Syracuse University, how you expect to finance your studies, and your plans for the future after you receive your degree. Upload directly to the online application.
- Resume. Upload directly to the online application.
- Application fee. A non-refundable application fee of $75. See online application for details.
- International students must also meet these requirements.
Submitting Your Portfolio
Applicants may submit their portfolios online or by mail. Portfolios may be submitted before or after your application.
Submit your portfolio and artist statement to us online at suvpa.slideroom.com. Upload images (.jpg), video (.mov, .wmv, .flv) or PDF documents. For good image quality and fast upload speeds, your image files should be sized around 1024 x 768px @ 72 ppi. Please keep video files under 20MB (approximately 5 minutes). Our online portal offers additional instructions for submitting work. For technical assistance, contact . The cost to submit by uploading is $12.
Submit a portfolio of 12 to 20 images online or on CD or DVD. Digital images on CD or DVD must be submitted as an Adobe (.pdf) or PowerPoint slide show (.pps). Images should not be larger than 1008 x 792 dpi. Include a hard copy list of images and a one-page artist’s statement.
Submit web sites and multimedia examples online. Include a description of each using the template provided in SlideRoom.
Submit original films online or on DVD (10 minutes max.). Be certain to clearly indicate your role in the production of the film. Your submitted films should be a complete piece, not excerpts or reels.