Application information and requirements for the School of Art’s master of fine arts (M.F.A.) degree programs in illustration and studio arts are listed below.
Additionally, in conjunction with Syracuse University’s School of Education, the School of Art offers a master of science (M.S.) degree in art education. Admission to art education is through the School of Education.
Final application deadline: February 1 for fall admission
- School of Art programs currently do not offer spring admission.
- To be considered for merit-based awards, please submit your application by February 1.
Completed applications must include:
- Online application.
- Portfolio and artist statement. Refer to the bottom of this page for portfolio submission information and requirements.
- Three letters of recommendation. Consult online application for details.
- Academic transcript. Unofficial transcript uploaded to the online application. If you are admitted, an official, degree-bearing transcript must be mailed to the University. Applicants must complete a U.S. bachelor’s degree (or its equivalent in another country) before starting a graduate program.
- Personal statement/essay. Describe in approximately 500 words your main academic interests, why you wish to study for the degree you have chosen, why you wish to study at Syracuse University, how you expect to finance your studies, and your plans for the future after you receive your degree. Upload directly to the online application.
- Resume. Upload directly to the online application.
- Application fee. A non-refundable application fee of $75. See online application for details.
- International students must also meet these requirements.
Submitting Your Portfolio Online
Applicants may submit their portfolios online. Portfolios may be submitted before or after your application.
Submit your portfolio and artist statement to us online in Slideroom. Upload images (.jpg), video (.mov, .wmv, .flv) or PDF documents. For good image quality and fast upload speeds, your image files should be sized around 1024 x 768px @ 72 ppi. Please keep video files under 20MB (approximately 5 minutes). Our online portal offers additional instructions for submitting work. For technical assistance, contact . The cost to submit by uploading is $12.
Portfolio Requirements for Arts Education
Submit 12 to 20 images of original artwork, and caption each image with title, media, dimensions, and date of work. See the School of Education for admission and deadline information.