An audition is required for all students seeking admission to the Setnor School of Music.
Interested in applying to Setnor and want to know what a music lesson from Setnor faculty is like? Schedule a music lesson with them to find out!
Early Decision (First-year students only):
- Application and audition materials: November 15, 2023
Note: The Early Decision in-person audition date is November 13. If you are planning to attend, it is recommended that you apply and complete the Music Requirements Form at least 72 hours prior to this date.
Early Decision II (First-year students only):
- Application and virtual audition materials: January 5, 2024
Regular Decision (Fall):
- Application and audition materials: January 5, 2024
Audition Requirements and Process
Listed below are specific Setnor School of Music audition requirements for each instrument. Each category also includes a list of recommended audition literature.
Requirements for All Auditioners
- Submit your application to Syracuse University. Please see our website for all important deadlines.
Within 72 hours of submitting your application, you will receive email instructions to set up your applicant portal.
- Complete the Music Requirements Form within the applicant portal.
Composition applicants will be directed to upload their scores/recordings after completing this form.
- Complete online theory test.
- Schedule your in-person audition or upload your recorded audition materials.
You may upload video files (.mov, .wmv, .flv) and PDF documents as appropriate to the requirements for your major of interest.
Audition Requirements Preparation
Prepare audition requirements for your primary instrument as described below.
- Students may choose between the classical style or jazz/commercial style for their primary instrument audition.
- Students interested in auditioning for the jazz/commercial style can do so for all majors except the B.M. in performance.
- Students applying to the B.M. in composition are required to audition on an instrument or voice AND submit a composition portfolio. See below for requirement details.
- For students completing a virtual audition only:
- Please note that follow-up interviews are only requested if the faculty would like more information following the review of an online audition. Not being asked to interview does not mean that you have been rejected from the Setnor School of Music.
Students applying to the B.M. in composition are required to audition on an instrument or voice AND submit a composition portfolio.
Classical Music Audition Requirements
Jazz and Commercial Music Audition Requirements
Transfer students are encouraged to complete the application and transcript review as soon as possible as space is limited in some programs. It is strongly recommended that transfer applicants to the Setnor School of Music follow the first-year application deadlines.