School of Design
Program Coordinator, M.F.A. in Design and Industrial and Interaction Design
116 Smith Hall
Syracuse, NY 13244
At Syracuse University he has served as chair of the Meredith Professorship Committee and Interdisciplinary Design Spire; University Senator, University Senate, faculty representative; chair and committee member of the Tenure and Promotion Committees; committee member, University-wide Interdisciplinary Committees; and on the NASAD Committee.
Carr also serves on the DCC (Disability and Cultural Center) Advisory Board, the Blackstone LaunchPad e-roundtable, and is an affiliate faculty member of the Aging Studies Institute. Carr is also a founding member of the Adaptive Design Association Syracuse and co-founder of the Central New York Biomimicry regional network.
- M.F.A., Cranbrook Academy of Art
- B.F.A., Rochester Institute of Technology
- Second Skin, Kaohsiung Museum of Fine Arts, Taipei
- Second Skin, Vitra Design Museum, Germany
- Skin, Cooper-Hewitt Design Museum, New York City
- Mutating Material, Museum of Modern Art, New York City
- Metropolis Magazine: Good Offices and Beyond, Cooper-Hewitt Museum, New York City
- WOOspace, International Contemporary Furniture Fair (ICFF), New York City
- Graduate Design, American Center for Design, Chicago
- Mondo Materials, Sponsored by Steelcase, Grand Rapids, Mich.
- InProduction, Cranbrook Academy of Art Museum, Bloomfield Hills, Mich.
- Published Articles
- Artbyte (9/1999) “Digital Clay” by Don Carr
- Innovation Summer (1994) “Reclaiming the Soul of the Synthetic Object” by Don Carr, Alex Subrisi, and William Faust
- What Things Do: Philosophical Reflections on Design by Peter-Paul Verbeek, Boom Publishers, Amsterdam, 2000
- IF/Then Play by Janet Abrams. Long Lake lll: Toys vs. Tools, Netherland Design Institute, Amsterdam, 1999
- 2001 PetitGlam Future Interior, WOOspace, pgs 68-76
- 2000 FID, Future of Industrial Design: Korean Design Magazine; Don Carr, Inventor of Advanced Concepts, pgs 74-79
- 2000 Flaunt 9/2000 Future Heros, pgs 104-109
- 1999 Business Week 6/7/1999 Winner 1999, The Best Product Designs of the Year
- 1999 Wallpaper 7/1999 NYC Brights pg 115
- 1999 Interior Design 7/1991 Market pg 72
- 1999 Innovation The Yearbook of Industrial Design Excellence, Fall Off the Beaten Path, the Trail Tag System pgs 122-125
- 1999 Metropolis 10/1999 All’s Fair: International Contemporary Furniture Fair Review pgs 124-125
- 1996 ID Magazine Annual Design Review, Biofeedback Snowboard
- 1996 ID Magazine Annual Design Review, Signpost 101
- 1995 ID Magazine, ID Forty
- 1994 ID Magazine Annual Design Review, Palm Mouse
- 1992 ID Magazine Annual Design Review, Ithaca Color Printer
Awards and Honors
- 2018 Core77 Design Awards Design Concept Award, Amber Waves
- 2011 Continuum + Arthur Pulos Award for innovation in interdisciplinary design education, Syracuse University
- 2008 Invited Juror, IDSA International Design Excellence Awards, Furniture and Graduate Student Design, Washington, D.C.
- 2006 Design Educator Honor, Design Intelligence Report, Named one of Most Admired Industrial Design Educators
- 2005 Guest Critic, Design Institutes “Design Camp” sponsored by Target, Minneapolis, Minn.
- 2003 IDEA Bronze Award, Syracuse University Synergy Laboratory, SU, IDSA, Industrial Design Excellence Awards
- 2000 Nomination, Chrysler Design Award, Designer of the Year Award
- 1999 IDEA Gold Award, Trail Tags, Carr+Lamb , IDSA, Industrial Design Excellence Awards
- 1999 ICFF, International Contemporary Furniture Fair, NYC, LG Electronics International Design Competition, Korea
- 1999 Editor’s Choice Award, WOO Lighting and Textiles, Carr+Lamb, LG Electronics International Design Competition, Korea
- 1998 Patagonia “Q=E” International Design Competition, LG Electronics International Design Competition, Korea
- 1998 Bronze Award, Trail Tags, Carr+Lamb, LG Electronics International Design Competition, Korea
- 1997 IDEA Bronze Award, Biofeedback Snowboard, Carr+Lamb, IDSA, Industrial Design Excellence Awards
- 1996 Design Distinction Award, Biofeedback Snowboard, Carr+Lamb, ID Magazine Annual Review
- 1996 Design Distinction Award, Signpost 101, NCR Corporation, ID Magazine Annual Review
- 1995 Invited Juror, ID Magazine, Annual Design Review, NYC
- 1995 Honorable Mention, Biomimicry, NCR Corporation
- 1995 Selected to ID Forty, ID Magazine, Annual Award to Top International Designers
- 1995 IDEA Gold Award, Signpost 101, NCR Corporation, IDSA, Industrial Design Excellence Awards
- 1994 Design Distinction Award, Palm Mouse, NCR Corporation, ID Magazine Annual Review
- 1994 American Center for Design and Fortune Magazine, LG Electronics International Design Competition, Korea
- 1994 Beacon Award, Corporate Design Excellence, NCR Corporation, LG Electronics International Design Competition, Korea
- 1993 Silver Award, Palm Mouse, NCR Corporation, LG Electronics International Design Competition, Korea
- 1992 Honorable Mention, Ithaca Color Printer, NCR Corporation, ID Magazine Annual Review
- 1991 Silver Award, Personal Mediator, NCR Corporation, LG Electronics International Design Competition, Korea
- 1991 Mondo Materials, Sponsored by Steelcase, LG Electronics International Design Competition, Korea
- 1989 IDEA Silver Award, Fire Extinguisher, Carr+Lamb, IDSA, Industrial Design Excellence Awards
- 1989 IF Industrie Forum Design Hannover, Germany,
- 1989 Award for Industrial Design, Interactive Video Terminal, NCR Corporation
- 2018 CALS (Classroom as Lab for Sustainability) DES 400/600 Sustainability Design Elective- Tiny House
- 2017 ARPA-E Micro-Environmental Control System
- 2008, Founder, “Golden Mean Lecture Series”, Syracuse University. VPA lecture series to promote connections between design, business and society. Kauffman Foundation Grant
- 2007, Coordinator, “Transportation Distribution Analysis,” Motorola Funded Project
- 2006, Coordinator, “Consumer Behavioral Research,” LG Electronics Funded Project
- 2003, Coordinator, “Retail Shopping Experience,” Symbol Technologies Funded Project
- 1998, Coordinator, “Medical Diagnostic Equipment,” Welch Allyn Funded Project
- 1990-92, Recipient, “Design Research,” Cranbrook Academy of Art, NCR: MFA Education Grant
Lectures, Panels and Workshops
- 2018 IMLS National Forum “Designing Future Library Leaders”
- 2016 SSA Changing the Landscape: Creative Approaches to Healthy Aging
- 2008, Guest Presenter, “Focus the Nation,” nationwide event on global warming, SU
- Panel Moderator, “Creators vs. Consumer,” the Rhetoric Conference,
- Reality & Reformation of Intellectual Property Law & Policy, SU
- 2007, Guest Presenter, NYS Youth Invention Convention, Albany, N.Y.
- 2005, Guest Presenter, Design Institute, 6 Pines Education Summit with Target, Minneapolis
- Co-Chair, IDSA NE District Regional Conference, SU
- 2003, Guest Presenter, Cranbrook Academy of Art Lecture Series, Bloomfield Hills, Mich.
- Guest Presenter, IDSA Designabout Conference, Guggenheim Museum, New York City
- 2002, Workshop Presenter, “Designing the User Experience,” High Ground Education Workshop, Buena Vista, Colo.
- 2000, Guest Presenter, Design Lecture Series, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh
- Guest Presenter, “Design,” Student Factors Design Conference, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
- Guest Presenter, “The Future of I.D.,” American Center for Design, Burlington, Vt.
- 1998-00, Co-Founder, Long Lake Design Camp l, ll & lll, Long Lake, N.Y.