School of Art
Associate Professor, Studio Arts
Buchanan uses video, animation, photography, illustration, and drawing to create micro narratives of the ghostly presence of histories. Individual, family, and community experiences of otherness, and the perpetual small and large traumas sustained, is the focus of her recent work. Buchanan’s work has been exhibited nationally and internationally at Syracuse International Film Festival, Studio Museum in Harlem, Site: Santa Fe, Slamdance International Film Festival, Hammer Museum/UCLA, Society of Illustrators, Everson Museum of Art, Munson Williams Proctor Museum of Art, Urban Video Project, and Recontres International Paris/Berlin, among others. Buchanan co-founded a 501(c) 3 non-profit organization Talent Agency Teen Art Portfolio Development, Artists Teaching Artists, etc.
- M.F.A., Bard College
- B.F.A., Parsons School of Design
- Solo Show, Alfred State, Alfred, N.Y. An Event, Real Art Ways, Hartford, Conn. (solo)
- Strange Tongue, Everson Museum of Art, Syracuse (solo) in Court (Basketball), Urban Video Project, Syracuse (solo)
- Making their Mark, Palitz Gallery, Lubin House, New York City TONY: The Other New York, Everson Museum of Art, Syracuse New Directions 2012, Barrett Art Center, Susan Cross, MassMOCA, Juror 5th Rochester-Finger Lakes Biennial Exhibition, Memorial Art Gallery, University of Rochester (N.Y.) Made in New York 2012, Schweinfurth Memorial Art Center, Auburn, N.Y.
- 63rd Rochester-Finger Lakes Exhibition, Memorial Art Gallery, University of Rochester (N.Y.) Faculty Show, School of Art and Design, Syracuse University
- Pixel Pop, Projections/Multiple Locations in New York City and Newark, N.J. One and One, Tyler Art Gallery, SUNY Oswego invitational One Night Stand, Dissolve, Site: Santa Fe, Santa Fe, N.M. Seeing Double, Attleboro Art Museum, Attleboro, Mass. Juror’s Prize NYFA Mark 10 Presentation, Warehouse Gallery, Syracuse University Currents 2010, Santa Fe, N.M. 62nd Regional Exhibition, Munson Williams Proctor Museum of Art; Juror: Susan Stoops, Worchester Art Museum Stone Canoe Journal 4 Exhibition, XL Projects, College of Visual and Performing Arts, Syracuse University