Department of Communication and Rhetorical Studies
107 Sims Hall
Syracuse, NY 13244-1230
Kiewe's areas of research are in rhetorical theory and criticism, political communication, presidential studies, argumentation, and persuasion. Most recently he began teaching and researching with students unsolved Civil Rights murders.
Kiewe has published in such journals as Communication Studies, Legal Studies Forum, Journal of American Culture, Argumentation and Advocacy, and Southern Communication Journal. He is the author of several books, including FDR’s First Fireside Chat: Public Confidence and the Banking Crisis (Texas A&M Press, 2007), co-author of FDR’s Body Politics: The Rhetoric of Disability (Texas A&M Press, 2003) and A Shining City on a Hill: Ronald Reagan's Economic Rhetoric, 1951-1989 (Praeger, 1991), co-editor of Actor, Ideologue, Politician: The Public Speeches of Ronald Reagan (Greenwood, 1992), and editor of The Modern Presidency and Crisis Rhetoric (Praeger, 1994).
- Ph.D., Ohio University
Jewish rhetoric, political communication, and presidential rhetoric
- Jens.E Kjeldsen, Amos Kiewe, Marie Lund and Jette Barnholdt Hansen. Speechwriting: The Art and Practice of Writing Speeches for Others. London: Macmillan/Palgrave, 2019.
- Amos Kiewe. Andrew Jackson: A Rhetorical Portrayal of Presidential Leadership. Knoxville: University of Tennessee Press, 2019.
- Amos Kiewe and Davis W. Houck. Eds. The Effects of Rhetoric and the Rhetoric of Effects: Past, Present and Future. Columbia: University of South Carolina Press, 2015.
- Kiewe, Amos (2011). Confronting Anti-Semitism: Seeking an End to Hateful Rhetoric. Leicester, UK: Troubador Publishing Ltd.
- Kiewe, Amos (2007). FDR’s First Fireside Chat: Public Confidence and the Banking Crisis. College Station, TX: Texas A&M Press.
- Houck, Davis W. and Kiewe, A. (2003). FDR’s Body Politics: The Rhetoric of Disability. College Station, TX: Texas A&M Press.
- Kiewe, A. Ed. (1994). The Modern Presidency and Crisis Rhetoric. Westport, Conn.: Praeger.
- Houck, D. W. and Amos Kiewe. Actor, Ideologue, Politician: The Public Speeches of Ronald Reagan. Westport, Conn.: Greenwood Press, 1993. Second printing, 1994.
Selected Journal Articles
- Kiewe, A. (2018). "Communication and Anti-Semitism." In Oxford Encyclopedia of Communication and Critical Studies. Oxford University Press. dio10.1093/acrefore/9780190228613.013.633
- "Herbert A. Wichelns at the discipline's centennial mark: Re-reading a prospectus for rhetoric as an independent discipline," The Review of Communication (2014):
- "Whither Bound: Roosevelt's Quo-Vadis," Southern Communication Journal 70 (2004): 418-433.
Selected Media Interviews
- Amos Kiewe. Op-Ed. "Global Presidential Election is no Joke." Newsday. April 28, 2019.
- Amos Kiewe. Interview, "Obama's Challenge: Honest Economic Hope." National Public Radio (Feb. 24, 2009).
- Amos Kiewe. The History Channel. Interview for a documentary on FDR and his disability (April 2005).
Selected Public Lectures/Seminars
- "The Public Memory of the Massacre in York." Public lecture, York St. John University, York. United Kingdom, March 15, 2016.
- Guest lecture on temporarily in rhetoric. The University of Copenhagen, Denmark, May, 2014.
- Guest lecture on presidential crisis rhetoric, The University of Copenhagen, Denmark, March 2012.
Awards and Honors
1998, 2016 College Faculty Award, Syracuse University
- CRS 183 Perspectives and Concepts in Rhetoric
- CRS 327 Speechwriting
- CRS 355 Introduction to Political Communication
- CRS 360 Anti-Semitism: The Rhetoric of Hate
- CRS 425 Advanced Public Speaking
- CRS 455 Rhetorical Criticism
- CRS 568 Rhetoric of Social Change
- CRS 603 Contemporary Theories of Rhetoric
- CRS 655 Rhetorical Criticism