Shaffer Art Building | EST 1990

Congratulations on your admission to Syracuse University and the College of Visual and Performing Arts!

As a newly admitted student, you most likely have many questions about the process from now until when you start your studies. The information below should give you an overview of the process, but if you have any questions, feel free to contact the VPA Office of Research and Graduate Studies.

Before You Begin Your Studies

Before you begin your studies, you will want to take care of a few things:

  • Accept the offer of admission. If you are planning on coming to SU, please take a moment to fill out the "Intent to Register" form that you received in your admission packet. By completing and sending us this form, you are indicating your intent to come to Syracuse. This means that we know you are coming and will make sure you are on our contact list as we start contacting everyone about coming to Syracuse. The form can be mailed to us or can be scanned and emailed to If you are mailing the form, please send it to:

    Graduate Admissions Processing
    P.O. Box 35060
    Syracuse University
    Syracuse, NY 13235-5060

    Please note that VPA does not require a tuition deposit—please do not send a check!
  • Complete the required health form and immunizations. SU requires that all incoming students complete the health form [PDF] and receive all New York State required immunizations before attending SU. For more on these forms, please see the Health Services website.
  • Send official, degree-bearing transcript(s). SU requires all graduate students to have a U.S. bachelors degree or its equivalent before beginning studies on the graduate level. Therefore, the University requires that you send an official, degree-bearing transcript before the end of your first semester at SU. For those who are coming to graduate school immediately following undergraduate coursework, an official, degree-bearing transcript may not be available at the time you are admitted. However, please keep in mind that the transcript will need to be sent to us as soon as it is available. If you sent us an official, degree-bearing transcript with your application, there is no need to send another copy. If you are unsure as to what we have on file, contact the VPA Office of Research and Graduate Studies, and we'll be happy to look up your file.
  • Set up your SU email and netID. Before beginning your studies, you'll want to activate your netID and set up a password. The netID will give you access to on-campus computers, your SU email, and registration through MySlice, among other things. To set up your accounts, please visit the Information and Technology Services website.
  • Send in a photo for your SU ID card. Send a photo to so that your ID card can be set up. You'll be able to pick it up about a week before classes begin in the fall.
  • Find a place to live. Generally, graduate students at SU are not eligible for on-campus housing. Graduate students tend to enjoy living off campus, as it offers a degree of flexibility that on-campus housing does not. Some students live close to campus, while others live a short drive away, depending on their needs. You can view housing options through the Office of Off-Campus and Commuter Services or directly through sites such as or Also, current graduate students may have leads for you as well; check with your program to see if they know of good options for your lifestyle.
  • Prepare for registration.
  • Attend orientation. Each department offers an orientation for incoming graduate students. Orientation is generally held the week before classes begin. You will receive a list of orientation dates by email prior to August 1.