Submitting your music audition
Applicants may submit their audition in one of two ways listed below. Auditions may be submitted before or after your application but should meet all deadlines. To find more information about repertoire requirements, click here.
Please note: you must audition in person to be considered for Setnor School of Music scholarship awards.
1. In person
- It is to your advantage, and recommended to audition in person.
- All auditions are performed unaccompanied, with the exception of vocal auditions. Vocal applicants should bring a legal copy of the sheet music in the key in which you will sing. Accompaniment will be provided at on and off campus auditions. Taped accompaniment is not acceptable.
- Please note that sight-reading may be included in the in-person audition.
- We ask that you fill out the Music Resume writeable PDF prior to your arrival for an audition.
In person auditions are available on specific dates at the following events on campus:
- Campus Music Days
- Registration for audition
Regional auditions are available off campus on specific dates at the following locations:
We regret that regional auditions are not available for percussion or organ applicants. Also, please note that piano auditions are not available at Greenberg House.
- Atlanta, Cobb County Center for Excellent in the Performing Arts
- Chicago, Palmer House Hilton
- Los Angeles, Hilton LAX
- Washington D.C., Syracuse University Greenberg House
- New York City, Syracuse University Lubin House
Applicants may submit their audition materials (video, Music Resume writeable PDF, and if applicable--compositions) to us online at suvpa.slideroom.com. You may upload video files (mov, wmv, flv) up to 60 MB each, and PDF documents as appropriate to the requirements for your major of interest. It is also possible for you to embed files from YouTube or Vimeo. The online portal offers additional instruction for submitting materials. Once your audition is submitted, it can be viewed and rearranged until the final submission. For technical assistance, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. There is a $10 fee for each submission you make through SlideRoom. Please note that auditions submitted online will not be considered for Setnor Music Talent Scholarship, but students will still be considered for Academic Merit Scholarship and Financial Aid.
3. By mail
Submit a recording of your audition on DVD. Submissions may not exceed 20 minutes. CD recordings are not acceptable.
Clearly label the outside of your submission with your full name (including middle name), e-mail address, primary instrument, and intended major.
The recording must be free of background noise with appropriate balance between solos and accompaniment. Digital or artificial accompaniment is not acceptable.
On the recording, begin with a statement giving your full name (including middle name), phone number, date of recording, first-year or transfer status, desired major, instrument, and titles and composers of works presented. A copy of the Music Resume Writeable PDF should also be included in your submission. Please note that auditions submitted online will not be considered for Setnor Music Talent Scholarship, but students will still be considered for Academic Merit Scholarship and Financial Aid.
Send materials to:
Office of Recruitment and Admissions
College of Visual and Performing Arts
202 Crouse College
Syracuse, NY 13244-1010