Syracuse University's College of Visual and Performing Arts (SU:VPA) is presenting Arts in April, a month-long celebration of the SU:VPA community’s talents in art, communication and rhetorical studies, design, drama, music and transmedia. The public is invited to join the celebration and view a calendar of events at http://artsinapril.vpa.syr.edu.
Each spring, SU:VPA bustles with activity, with exhibitions, competitions, presentations, performances and talks by visiting artists and scholars. Many of these events represent a culmination of work by graduating seniors and graduate students.
Highlights of the month include:
- “The Way Out,” the 2014 master of fine arts exhibition, featuring work by graduate students in the Departments of Art and Transmedia;
- the White-Denison Presentational Speaking Competition in the Department of Communication and Rhetorical Studies;
- productions of “The Good Woman of Setzuan” and “Spring Awakening” in the Department of Drama;
- the annual senior fashion show in the Department of Design;
- the annual concert by winners of the Concerto and Aria Competition in the Setnor School of Music;
- “Foundation Selects,” an exhibition of work by first-year art and design students; and
- a roster of visiting artists and speakers that includes artist/scholar Ismael Abu-Jarad; guitarist Lily Afshar; photographer George Awde; conductor Kenneth Bloomquist; painter/illustrator Max Ginsburg ’53; artist Ann Hamilton; filmmakers Abbas Kiarostami and Susan Youssef; ceramist Jeanne Quinn; and ensemble Voix de Strass.
Arts in April is an initiative of SU: VPA’s Faculty Council.