A number of students and alumni from the Setnor School of Music participated in the Cazenovia Counterpoint Festival in Cazenovia, N.Y., in July. This year’s installment of the festival took its cue from the fact that 2017 is the centenary of the Women’s Suffrage movement in New York State, which began in Central New York.
Among the Setnor student and alumni participants:
- Composers Bryan Sweeney ’17 and Mario Pietra ’14 G’17, who were commissioned to write new works for prize-winning musicians
- Composer Diane Jones G’08, whose work was performed
- Composer Chris Cresswell ’11, who had a work premiered and led the Young Composers Corner
- Composer Charles van Tassel ‘18, who had a work premiered
- Singers Julia Ebner ’04, Jonathan Howell ’18 and Gregory Sheppard ‘00, who performed in staged scenes from an opera about Matilda Joslyn Gage
In addition, Setnor faculty member Melissa Gardiner performed as part of the MG3 Jazz Organ Trio, and Department of Drama faculty member Laura Enslin performed in staged scenes from the Gage opera.