In honor of the historic work of American composer/conductor Gregg Smith and the Gregg Smith Singers, the Rose, Jules R. and Stanford S. Setnor School of Music in the College of Visual and Performing Arts has announced the 2015 Gregg Smith National Choral Composition Contest. The award is given biennially to a composer between the ages of 21 and 35 who has written and submitted a musical composition for a Setnor School choral ensemble. For this competition, the Syracuse University Women’s Choir, conducted by Barbara M. Tagg, will premiere the winning work in April.
- The composer will receive a $1,400 prize. The selected composition will be premiered on Saturday, April 16, 2016 at 2 p.m. in the Rose and Jules R. Setnor Auditorium, Crouse College, on the Syracuse University campus. Travel expenses to the premiere are the responsibility of the prize recipient.
- The composer must be 21 to 35 years of age at the time of submission.
- Scores must be postmarked no later than Wednesday, September 30.
- Duration: Three to four minutes
- Unpublished and unperformed works only
- Accessible SA, SSA, or SSAA a cappella or accompanied by piano or organ; additional instruments optional
- The Women’s Choir is a 40-voice, non-auditioned undergraduate and graduate student collegiate ensemble.
- Rights to texts must be cleared, and evidence of copyright holder’s permission must be shown.
- Composer will retain the copyright of the piece.
- May be secular or sacred
- The Setnor School will retain winning manuscript for future performances.
- The composer must reside in North America (including Mexico).
- Composer must include a biography, list of works and proof of age (copy of driver’s license, passport, etc.) with submission.
Entrants should include their name, email address, postal address and phone number(s) in a sealed envelope together with their score. Size of manuscript must not exceed 8 ½ x 14”. No scores will be returned unless a self-addressed mailer and postage are provided. The winner will be notified by October 30. Submissions should be mailed to Gregg Smith Choral Composition Contest, Department of Choral Studies, 215 Crouse College, Syracuse University, Syracuse NY 13244-1010.
For additional information contact email@example.com.