Members of the dean search committee have been appointed to identify candidates to succeed the dean of the College of Visual and Performing Arts. The committee will be seeking a successor to Dean Ann Clarke. Clarke had previously announced her intent to step down at the end of the 2015-16 academic year.
The SU:VPA committee will be chaired by Charles E. Morris III, professor and chair of the Department of Communication and Rhetorical Studies and an affiliated professor with the LGBT Studies program.
Committee members include faculty, students, administrators, trustees and representatives of the college's advisory council.
Serving along with Morris on the SU:VPA search committee are:
- Sang-Mi Borneman, graduate student, music education
- Yvonne E. Buchanan, associate professor, art
- Markova Casseus, senior, communication and rhetorical studies major
- Felix E. Cochren, associate professor, theater design and technology
- Lauren Cramer, University Trustee
- James W.R. Fathers, professor, industrial and interaction design; director, School of Design; Iris Magidson Endowed Chair of Design Leadership
- Christopher Fox, assistant dean, information technology, VPA
- Dennis Gilbert, member, VPA Advisory Council
- Rachel Carey Hall, associate professor, communication and rhetorical studies
- Heath A. Hanlin, associate professor; department chair, transmedia; program coordinator, computer art and animation
- Lucinda K. Havenhand, associate professor, environmental and interior design; associate dean, research and graduate studies
- Laura Heyman, associate professor, Department of Transmedia; program coordinator, art photography
- Stephanie L. James, director, School of Art; Doris E. Klein Endowed Professor of Art
- Joanna Masingila, dean and professor, School of Education
- Lisa Steele, assistant director, Bandier Program
- Martha L. Sutter, interim director, Setnor School of Music
- John F. Warren, associate professor, applied music and performance (conducting); director, choral activities
- Peter Yenawine, member, VPA Advisory Council
- Ralph Zito, professor and department chair, drama
"I feel fortunate to be joined in this vital search committee work by a remarkably talented and dedicated group of people who care deeply about the future of SU:VPA,” says Morris. “These delegates reflect a careful selection process that prioritized representation, diversity and commitment in the interest of launching a successful search with the confidence and encouragement of the entire SU:VPA community. We are eager to get to work."
Global management consulting firm Korn Ferry has been selected to assist with the search effort.
Clarke, who has served as SU:VPA’s dean since 2008, will take a one-year research leave at the end of the academic year and return to the faculty in the fall of 2017.