Faculty, staff, and student accomplishments include, but are not limited to, awards/recognition, conference presentations, book publishings, artist residencies, and off-campus exhibitions, lectures, or performances not sponsored by Syracuse University or the College of Visual and Performing Arts.
The VPA Office of Communications publicizes accomplishments in conjunction with SU News Services, which offers two helpful programs: the Student Hometown News Program, which sends press releases about student accomplishments to their hometown newspaper; and the Faculty/Staff News Program, which shares accomplishments with the University community and beyond, including alma maters.
What you need to do:
- Contact us at email@example.com with detailed information about the accomplishment, including relevant dates, locations, and sponsoring information. If there is a web page related to your news item, please share that URL. If you have any related digital imagery (head shot, book jacket image, etc.), please include that in high-res, print-quality jpeg format.
- Students should include their hometown.
- Faculty /staff should include a brief summary of their degrees held (what, where from, and when) and professional career (expertise, professional interests, recent additional accomplishments).
- Let us know if there are any specific news outlets, trade journals and publications, etc., where the news item should be sent.
- Let us know if you are working with any other type of organization that may also be publicizing the accomplishment so we can coordinate publicity. Also, let us know about any other publicity efforts you may already have lined up (television interviews, newspaper interviews, etc.).
- While we can accept the information after-the-fact, our best publicity efforts come from knowing about the accomplishment two to three weeks ahead of time.
- If you are part of a group, designate someone in the group to contact us and serve as our spokesperson. This person should be easily accessible and responsive.
What we will do:
- Share the accomplishment with SU News Services and work with them to distribute the release to the appropriate external and internal news outlets (including any specific outlets you indicate). These include SU and VPA news outlets. More information on where we place news can be found here.
- If we feel your accomplishment is especially newsworthy, we may suggest additional publicity options.
- Serve as a liaison for the media