Sims Hall | EST 1906

Below you will find questions commonly asked by new transfer students. If your question isn't answered here, please contact us.

What is MySlice?

MySlice is a web portal that allows you to view and interact with your student record throughout your time here at SU. This portal will allow you to access all your information, from transfer evaluations to transcripts, as well as placement exams.

I already have an email account. Do I have to use my account?

YES! It is extremely important to use your email address on a daily basis. Some people like to keep their personal email account active and check both each day. If you choose to keep your personal email account active, you can redirect your SU mail account; to do so, follow these easy instructions.

Where can I find information about what I need to do before I arrive on campus and Syracuse Welcome?

The Office of First-Year and Transfer Programs has a website called ReadySet. Here you will find to-do lists, academic and housing information, and important dates to remember. This is also where you can find a digital copy of the Syracuse Welcome Book 2017, your guide to orientation week.

How do I register for my first semester classes?

A representative from the VPA Office of Student Success will be in contact with you via email starting in early June to assist you in making an appointment with an advisor to discuss course selection, taking into consideration your transfer credit evaluation. You should check your program requirements in the curricular page for each major on the VPA website.

The Schedule of Classes and the Course Catalog are great resources for selecting classes. The Schedule of Classes lists every course offered in the fall 2017 semester and is organized alphabetically by college while the Course Catalog provides course descriptions and policies of Syracuse University.

Once registration for new students opens in July, our office will register you in the courses that you choose with the advisor. Schedules will be available for view to all students on August 1.

What if I want to take a math or language course?

Incoming transfer students are strongly encouraged to take placement exams, available on MySlice, before making their course selections. If you expect to receive credit for a language, please see below for the Language Transfer Credit Evaluation Process.

The Math placement exam is available online. Language exams for Spanish, French, German, Hebrew and Italian are available online. Exams for all other languages TBD. Please see the Welcome Book for locations. 

Students who require disability-related accommodations on placement exams should contact the Office of Disability Services in advance at 315.443.4498.

What if I expect to receive credit for a language?

Language Transfer Credit Evaluation Process: Students who have taken language courses through an accredited college or university should check the Language Coordinator Directory and meet with the appropriate coordinator with the necessary paperwork to potentially receive credit here at Syracuse University. Do not take the placement exam.

It is mandatory that you provide a copy of the course syllabus AND a completed Petition to Faculty. You should explain that you are asking that your language credit be evaluated for credit and placement purposes. Please keep in mind that if you choose to take a language course at Syracuse and it is at a lower level than the course for which you have credit, then you cannot transfer in that other credit. 

How many credits can I transfer to Syracuse?

A maximum of 66 credits can be transferred from a two-year program, and a maximum of 90 credits can be transferred from a four-year program. Students must earn a grade of “C” or better in order for a course to be considered for transfer. It is important to remember that grades from other institutions do not transfer; Syracuse University accepts credits only. Once you are an SU student, you begin a new GPA.

I want to get a computer before coming to campus. What type of computer and/or computer programs will I need?

Beyond your standard office software, computer and software needs will vary by program of study. Read about your program’s specific computer recommendations on our Resources page.

I am participating in a ROTC. How do I let you know?

The Army ROTC meets for two academic hours, two leadership lab hours, and three physical fitness hours each week, and the Air Force meets for three academic and three physical fitness hours each week. Army ROTC program consists of a combination of credit and non-credit courses. Air Force ROTC courses can be taken for credit or non-credit. Army ROTC offers merit-based scholarships that pay for full tuition and fees at Syracuse as well as monthly stipends. Air Force ROTC also offers merit-based scholarships that pay for full tuition or partial tuition and fees and gives each recipient a monthly stipend. In addition, all Army and Air Force scholarship winners receive an annual Leadership Award from the University that can be applied to their room and board fees.

For information: Special Categories ROTC General Information: 1.800.295.7456

Air Force: 315.443.2461

Army: 315.443.2462

I am interested in joining the Syracuse University Marching Band (“The Pride of the Orange").

If you are interested in participating in “The Pride of the Orange,” the Syracuse University Marching Band (SUMB), please contact the band office at 315.443.2194 or email Fran Moore at All members are required to attend band camp the week before classes begin. Rehearsals averaging six hours per week (three evenings, two hours each) occur during the fall semester with additional rehearsals during game week. You are required to register for Marching Band (ENI 510) for one credit. If you are at maximum credit load, your college will contact the band office for consent to register for band for zero credits.

When will I know who my academic advisor is?

Your academic advisor will be assigned to you by your VPA school or department. Some schools/departments may not assign advisors until after you arrive on campus, and each may have a different method of notifying you. Check with your school/department if you have any questions about locating your academic advisor.

Are there resources on campus that are for transfer students only?

You can find information on transfer student resources by visiting the Office of First-Year and Transfer Programs website.