Below are questions commonly asked by current VPA undergraduate students. If you can't find the answer to your question here, please contact us.

I want to take a course this summer at a college near my home. What do I need to do?

You should fill out a Petition for Transfer Credit form, available in the College of Visual and Performing Arts’ Office of Student Success, 200 Crouse College, prior to taking the class. Your recorder will determine if the credits are eligible for transfer.

I took a class at another institution over the summer. How do I get the credits transferred to Syracuse University?

Request that the institution send an official transcript to the Office of Student Success, College of Visual and Performing Arts, Syracuse University, 200 Crouse College, Syracuse NY 13244-1010.

How do I get a permission number to enroll in a class that is full or restricted?

Any questions or concerns related to a course must be directed to the academic department in which the course is taught.

How do I get my advising hold lifted?

Advising holds can be lifted once you have met with your faculty advisor and turned in a signed advising form to your department office. Once a signed advising form is received by the department, holds will be lifted within a 24-hour period.

How do I declare a minor?

You should meet with the program’s minor coordinator to discuss your plans (minor coordinators are listed in SU's undergraduate course catalog). The minor may be in another college other than VPA. If you are accepted into the minor, you’ll need to have the minor coordinator sign off on a Declaration of Minor form. The second signature you’ll need to obtain is your faculty advisor. Forms can be picked up in VPA’s Office of Student Success, 200 Crouse College. Once signed by both the minor coordinator and your faculty advisor, forms can be dropped off to your recorder in 200 Crouse College.

How do I change from or to another school or college in SU?

Changing your home college requires that you first be accepted by the new college. Intra-University Transfer (IUT) standards, including application deadlines, for each college are listed in SU’s undergraduate course catalog. Applications can be found in VPA’s Office of Student Success, 200 Crouse College.

I’m planning to go abroad. What do I need to do before I leave?

You should meet with your faculty advisor as soon in your academic career as possible to explore your options, discuss your plan of study, and map out an academic plan.

The semester before going abroad you must schedule an official credit check with our office to make sure you are on track for graduation and make any last minute adjustments if necessary. 

What is the difference between the Course Catalog and the Schedule of Classes?

The Course Catalog is an exhaustive explanation of all the majors, minors, classes, and rules and regulations of Syracuse University. The catalog contains class descriptions of all classes that may be offered throughout the year. The course catalog gets updated yearly.

The Schedule of Classes is updated each semester. Here is where you will find the listing of classes that will be available for the upcoming or current semester. When you are figuring out what classes to register for the next semester, this will give you times and days when they specifically meet.

How can I change my schedule?

Schedule adjustment is the time that you can log into MySlice and add and drop classes online. Once classes start, you only have the first week to do this. After the first week, you must do any adjustments using an add/drop form, which may be picked up in any student affairs or department office on campus. (The VPA Office of Student Success at 200 Crouse College has them.) You will need the signatures of your instructors and advisor, and then you must bring the form to the VPA Office of Student Success for approval. You then take the form to the Registrar’s Office at 106 Steele Hall.

What is the financial drop deadline?

Simply put, and according to the Bursar’s Office website, “If you drop a class after the posted financial drop deadline, you are financially responsible for that course. If the combination of hours registered and dropped after the financial deadline exceed 19 hours, you are charged the published per credit hour rate for each hour over 19. The financial deadline for each semester is three weeks from the first day of classes.” Here is an example: you have 18 credits after the deadline. If you drop a class and add a class, you would be charged for 2 credits at the going rate because you would now be financially responsible for 21 credits, which is 2 credits above the maximum of 19.

Studio electives vs. academic electives: what is the difference?

Students in the School of Art, the School of Design, and the Department of Transmedia have to take a certain amount of studio or academic electives depending on their program of study. In order to identify what courses may count as a studio or an academic, here are some basic guidelines (with 3-credit courses as examples):

  • Academics: most courses offered outside of art, design, or transmedia (for example, courses offered in CRS, Arts and Sciences, Whitman, and other colleges outside of VPA). These academic courses usually have non-art-related content, such as math, natural sciences, art history, anthropology, religion, gender studies, and writing, among others. Most importantly, they meet for a total of 150 to 160 minutes each week for the duration of the semester (usually on a two- or three-day pattern, such as MW, TTH, or MWF, with classes ranging from 50 to 80 minutes each.)
  • Studio courses are usually offered through art, design, or transmedia. The content of the courses directly relates to the preparation of students for professional careers in art, design, and transmedia. The course content includes, but is not limited to, conceptualization, process, product, and critique of creative work in studio practice. These courses meet for a much longer time, for a minimum of four hours per week for the duration of the semester. Usual meeting patterns are: the class meets once per week for four+ hours, or the class meets twice per week, usually for two or more hours each.

Students can refer to our Advising & Registration page to download lists of courses that can count as studio, academic, or art history electives.

Please check with your advisor for additional guidance (for example, film is more restrictive with the academics, and the entire transmedia department has a category, Studies in Culture, that differs from program to program.)

Special Cases

  • Some Newhouse courses with studio-related content that have a lab attached to it are considered studio electives (as the sum of lab and course lengths is similar to a studio course, and it meets the content requirement.)
  • Independent studies/internships/experience credit: the category under which these credits will be counted is based on course content, the type of activities that the student will be performing, and the deliverables. A maximum of 12 credits altogether on these categories can be counted toward the degree.

If you have any questions about a particular course, please contact the VPA Office of Student Success, 200 Crouse College, prior to registering for the course.