Environmental and interior design
The curriculum and projects support the professional, multidisciplinary philosophy and foster the creation of humane, sustainable environments for people. Visualization and communications skills, as well as a strong technical component, provide a basis for the education of designers who will become creative problem solvers and leaders in various fields of interior design.
Students receive a broad liberal arts education in conjunction with studio courses in fine arts and crafts to complement their work in environmental and interior design. A sensitivity to the concerns of people, sustainable design practices and an understanding of the business of design contribute to their overall competence. Individual work experiences and actual and collaborative projects in the community and with industry expose students to current and future issues.
The program shares courses, design laboratories, and studios with other disciplines in the Department of Design and a close relationship with professional designers, design societies, and manufacturers. Students and the program have received many national and international design awards. The program is accredited by the Council for Interior Design Accreditation (CIDA).
Students are encouraged to spend a semester abroad in their junior year at SU’s Design in London program or working on special projects and internships in Syracuse and around the world.
Prospective students without art and design backgrounds and portfolios may apply directly to the program and matriculate through the freshman EDI curriculum.
Environmental & Interior Design (EDI) Program FAQs:
- Program established in 1922
- Currently Ranked 8th in the nation by Design Intelligence
- Program Attrition Rate: 13.6%
- Program Retention Rate: 52% (Of the 21 freshmen who declared an EDI major in 2010, 11 continued with the program and graduated in 2014.)
- Graduation Rate: 100% (Of the 11 freshmen who declared an EDI major in 2010 and continued on with the program, all 11 graduated within 4 years.)
- Approximately 28 EDI students graduate every May
- Job Placement: 86% of the students who graduated in 2013 are working in the Interior Design Field
- Acceptance into Graduate Programs: 100% of alumni who apply to graduate school are accepted.
- Firms that have hired our recent graduates:
◦ Tandus Centiva, Boston, MA
◦ TPG Architecture, NY, NY
◦ Prentice Office Environments, Buffalo NY
◦ Michaelis Boyd Associates, London UK
◦ LaBella Associates, P.C., Rochester, NY
◦ Whitehall Interiors NY, NY
◦ QPK Architects, Syracuse, NY
◦ Thom Filicia Interiors, NY, NY
◦ Ashely McGraw Architects, Syracuse, NY
◦ KVD+ Architecture, Trenton NJ
◦ HLW International LLP, Linden, NJ
◦ Donghia, NY, NY
◦ CBT Archtects, Boston, MA
◦ American Museum of Natural History, NY, NY
◦ Groupe SMCP, NY, NY
◦ Cramer Marketing Studio, Boston, MA
◦ White Whale Films, Westport, MA
◦ Bargmann Hendrie + Archetype, Inc., Boston, MA
◦ DRG Architects, New Brunswick, NJ
◦ Kate Spade, NY, NY
◦ SFA Design, Los Angeles, CA
◦ O'Neil Langan Architects, Clinton, NY