Why Our Program?
- You can tailor your studies to your own academic and professional interests in your junior and senior year. You can further enrich your studies with classes from SU:VPA and the University's other schools and colleges.
- Our faculty members are practicing filmmakers who are active in the Syracuse and international filmmaking communities. Recent recognition includes a New York State Council on the Arts grant.
- In addition to core study and global study, students have various opportunities for involvement with the Syracuse International Film Festival, whose founder and artistic director is a member of the film faculty, and the Dropped Frame Society, a student-run film organization.
- The program is nationally recognized; in 2014 it was ranked No. 11 by the Hollywood Reporter on its list of the top 25 film schools in the United States.
- When you graduate, you will belong to a global network of enthusiastic alumni, many of whom mentor students in achieving success at SU:VPA and beyond.
The film program is housed in Shaffer Art Building, which is home to all programs and facilities in the Department of Transmedia. The film production facilities include sync-sound camera/recorder packages: Aaton Super 16, Arriflex Super 16 and regular 16, CP16, non-sync Bolex cameras, SONY and PANASONIC DV and HDV video cameras; a broad array of location lighting and grip gear; Final Cut Pro non-linear editing stations equipped for HD editing; Steenback flatbed editors; a sound mix studio; an Oxberry animation studio; and a lighting studio.
You will draw inspiration and insight from the resident and visiting artists who come to the film program and the Department of Transmedia each year. Recent visiting artists have included composer Patrick Doyle; actor/director Giancarlo Esposito; director Abbas Kiarostami; screenwriter Dale Launer; filmmaker Albert Maysles ’49; filmmaker Dani Menkin; Jim Morris '77 G'78, producer and president of Pixar; director/producer Joel Schumacher; Cynthia Slavens, director of post production and marketing at Pixar; actor/director Peter Weller G’05; filmmaker Susan Youssef; and cinematographer Vilmos Zsigmond.