The Setnor School of Music offers a variety of choral and instrumental ensembles open to students of all majors across Syracuse University and SUNY ESF. Some ensembles require an audition, while others are open to all. For more information, please call 315-443-2191 or email Michelle Taylor at firstname.lastname@example.org.
LARGE INSTRUMENTAL ENSEMBLES
Auditions for Symphony Orchestra and Wind Ensemble will take place on August 26 (woodwinds and brass) and August 27 (strings). Sign-up sheets will be posted outside room 301 Crouse College, during Opening Weekend.
- Wind Ensemble meets MWF 12:45–2:05 pm. Please contact Dr. Bradley P. Ethington (email@example.com) for more information
Orchestra meets MWF 3:45 -5:05 p.m. Please contact Dr. James Tapia (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information. The orchestra auditions for string players are 2 Scales (major, 2 or 3 octaves as requested by auditioning committee), a 2-3 minute prepared solo or etude of the student’s choice, and prepared excerpts.
Excerpts for Orchestra and Wind Ensemble Auditions are available at this link: Ensemble Audition Materials.
If you have an accessibility request for materials, please contact Michelle Taylor.
Auditions for select choirs will be on Sunday, August 25 (1-5 p.m.), Monday, August 26 (9 a.m. - 5 p.m.), and Tuesday, August 27 (9 a.m. - 5 p.m.). Setnor's select choirs include Hendricks Chapel Choir, Oratorio Society, and University Singers. All auditions are held in room 302 Crouse College and last about eight minutes. No preparation is necessary. The audition consists of vocalization (listening to your tone and determining your vocal range), tonal memory exercises, and sight-singing. There will also be time at the audition to answer any questions you may have about the different choirs we offer. To schedule an audition, please email email@example.com or call 315.443.4106.
- Hendricks Chapel Choir meets TH 7-9:15 p.m.
- Oratorio Society meets M 7-9:30 p.m.
- University Singers meets MWF 2:15-3:35 p.m.
- Crouse Chorale and Setnor Sonority meet TTH 3:30-4:50 p.m., do not require an audition for participation
INSTRUMENTAL AND VOCAL JAZZ, FUNK, AND ROCK ENSEMBLES
Trumpet, trombone, and saxophone auditions for the Morton Schiff Jazz Ensemble will take place on Monday, August 26, from 2-5 p.m. in room 202 Shaffer Art Building. Rhythm section auditions will take place on Monday, August 26, from 6:30-8 p.m. in room 201 Shaffer. Trumpet, trombone, and saxophone auditions will include a self-prepared jazz selection, jazz sight reading (provided), and improvisation over the blues. Rhythm section auditions will include chart reading and improvisation in a small group setting. Sign-up sheets for auditions will be posted outside room 202 Shaffer during Opening Weekend.
Vocal Jazz auditions: Auditions for vocal jazz ensembles will be held Sunday, August 25, from 2-5 p.m. in 201 Shaffer. Contact Professor Welcher (firstname.lastname@example.org) to secure a time slot. The audition will consist of a jazz standard prepared by the singer, sight-singing, range check, and tonal memory exercises.
- Morton Schiff Jazz Ensemble meets TTH 3:30-4:50 p.m. Please contact Dr. John Coggiola (email@example.com) for more information.
- Orange Collective vocal jazz meets MW 3:45-5:05 p.m. Please contact Professor Jeffrey Welcher (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information.
- Orange Syndicate vocal jazz meets T 12:30-1:50 p.m. Please contact Professor Jeffrey Welcher (email@example.com) for more information.
- Jazz/Funk Combo meets F 10:35– 11:30 a.m. Please contact Professor Bill DiCosimo (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information.
- Rock Combo (Citrus Punch) meets F 11:45 a.m.-12:40 p.m. Please contact Professor Rick Balestra (email@example.com) for more information.
- Jazz Guitar Ensemble meets F 12:45-1:40 p.m. Please contact Professor Rick Balestra (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information.
- Jazz Combo meets M 11:40 a.m.-12:35 p.m. Please contact Professor Josh Dekaney (email@example.com) for more information.
Auditions, when needed, for chamber ensembles are arranged directly with the faculty member conducting the ensemble.
- Baroque Ensemble meets in the spring semester, TTH 2:00-3:20 p.m. and is open to all music majors without audition. Non-music majors must audition. For all non-music majors who wish to participate in Baroque Ensemble, please contact Professor Janet Brown (firstname.lastname@example.org) for an audition.
- Brazilian Ensemble (Samba Laranja) meets TTH 5-6:20 p.m. Please contact Professor Joshua Dekaney (email@example.com) for more information.
- Contemporary Music Ensemble meets in the fall semester, TTH 2-3:20 p.m. and is open to all music majors without audition. The ensemble divides into multiple mixed chamber groups to utilize all available players and singers, as well as a free improvisation ensemble. Non-music majors who wish to participate should contact Dr. James Tapia (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Guitar Ensemble meets T 12:30-1:50 p.m. Please contact Dr. Ken Meyer (email@example.com) for more information.
- Percussion Ensemble meets T 12:303:15 p.m. Students should be able to play multiple percussion instruments and should contact Professor Michael Bull (firstname.lastname@example.org) before registering and for more information.
- Saxophone Ensemble meets T 5-6:20 p.m. Please contact Dr. Diane Hunger (email@example.com) for more information.
- Steel Band meets M 5:15-6:35 p.m. Please contact Dr. David Knapp (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information.
- String Chamber Music groups are scheduled at agreed upon times once the groups are formed. Please contact Dr. Knuth (email@example.com) for more information on string chamber ensembles.