Why Our Program?
- Our stellar visiting artists program will allow you to work with master printmakers and artists on projects within our Lake Effect Editions press.
- Our student-run Graphic Arts League will allow you to engage with other printmaking students and participate in events, field trips, and demonstrations.
- Our faculty members are all practicing artists whose work is exhibited internationally.
- You can take advantage of global study opportunities, including those in Florence, Italy.
- When you graduate, you will belong to a global network of enthusiastic alumni, many of whom mentor students in achieving success at SU:VPA and beyond.
The printmaking program is located in Comstock Art Facility (ComArt), which is also home to School of Art programs in art education, ceramics, jewelry and metalsmithing, and sculpture. Our fully ventilated, 6,400-square-foot facility includes studio spaces for undergraduate and graduate students.
Printmaking Studio Equipment
- Three proof presses (15” x 30”)
- Challenge proof press (15” x 30”)
- Showcard poster press (24”x 27”)
- Selection of wood and metal Showcard type
- Takach press (40” x 72”)
- Charles Brand press (36” x 56”)
- Hughes and Kimber press (22” x 36”)
- Separate ventilated acid-bath and solvent clean-up room
- Two Charles Brand presses (30” x 50”) and (24” x 40”), with plate bases
- Wepplo press (29” x 38”), used exclusively for plate litho
- Large selection of assorted-sized stones stored on press high carts and in custom stone storage racks
- Complete waterbase photo silkscreen facility and darkroom
- Douthitt vacuum exposure table (36” x 48”)
- Back-lit washout sink
- Fourteen non-vacuum printing stations
- Two ATMA, micro-registration vacuum tables (27” x 27”)
- AWT Seriglide, one-arm printing press (42" x 64")
- CamSpray pressure washer
- Custom screen emulsion drying system
Letterpress (Goudy Type Lab)
- Vandercook No. 3 proofing press
- Table-top and floor Platen presses
- Large assortment of metal type with many original Goudy fonts
- 1 1/2 lb. Voith Hollander beater
- Two one-gallon commercial blenders
- Pattern pistol
- Portable Hilger vacuum table/moulding (4’ x 4’)
- Hydraulic paper press (36” x 27”)
- Five 12” x 15” book presses
- Variety of student and professional moulds
- Two iMAC computers
- EPSON scanner
- HP laser printer (13” x 19”)
- Copy machine
A vital part of our curriculum is our visiting artists program. Each year we invite five to six professional printmakers to join us for a short-term residency, where they work closely with students and faculty to create a project. Students work side-by-side with the artist to create editions, print installations, sculptures, and collaborations.
Recent visiting artists have included Aesthetic Apparatus, Santiago Armengod, Dr. Eric Avery, Glen Baldridge, Michael Barnes, Kathan Brown, Lisa Bulawsky, Cannonball Press, Jack Damer, Drive By Press, Amze Emmons, John Hancock, Adriane Herman, John Hitchcock, Mark Hosford, Chris Johanson, Amanda Knowles, Michael Krueger, Dennis McNett, Pinteresting, Minna Resnick, Favianna Rodriguez, Nick Ruth, Jay Ryan, Jennifer Schmidt, Joel Seah, Sean StarWars, Fred Stonehouse, Jon Swindler, Lenore Thomas, R.L. Tillman, Crystal Wagner, and Ericka Walker.
Graphic Arts League
The Graphic Arts League is our student-run print club. As a member, you can participate in numerous events, field trips, and demonstrations related to printmaking.