Why Our Program?
- You can combine your love of storytelling while honing your skills in drawing, painting, design, and research.
- Our faculty members are all practicing illustrators and artists whose work is published and exhibited nationally and internationally.
- Your senior portfolio will be shown to renowned art directors and illustrators for focused feedback.
- You can take advantage of global study opportunities in such amazing places as Florence, Italy, and Los Angeles.
- You will engage with an impressive array of nationally and internationally known visiting artists who come to the School of Art each year.
- When you graduate, you will belong to a global network of enthusiastic alumni, many of whom mentor students in achieving success at VPA and beyond.
The illustration program's studios and classrooms are housed in Shaffer Art Building, which is also home to the Department of Transmedia, jazz studies in the Setnor School of Music, and Syracuse University Art Galleries. The building also contains a 60-seat lecture hall and the 300-seat Shemin Auditorium.
Throughout the year the illustration program and the School of Art welcomes numerous nationally and internationally known visiting artists to campus. Speakers in the illustration program include video gaming professionals, animators, editors, art directors, and illustrators, many of whom are alumni. You may interact with them through presentations, class demos, lectures, and critiques. These experiences are a critical component to your artistic growth.
Past guests have included Selina Alko, Sophie Blackall, Steve Brodner, Marcos Chin, Joe Ciardiello, John Cuneo, Shaun Cusick, Andrea D'Aquino, Jeffrey Decoster, Michelle Dickens '03, Mark English, Shane Evans ’92, Donato Giancola ’92, Max Ginsburg '53, Brian Gordon G’97, Sterling Hundley, Gary Kelley, Goni Montes, Barry Mosher, George Pratt, Sean Qualls, John Rush, Elwood Smith, Joe Spadaford ’00, David Wiesner, and Eric Wilkerson.