Why Our Program?
- You can further develop your talents in illustration and also acquire teaching skills.
- You will receive individual attention from our faculty members, who are all nationally recognized illustrators.
- You can take advantage of global study opportunities for M.F.A. students, including those in New York City and Los Angeles.
- You will engage with an impressive array of nationally and internationally known visiting artists who come to the School of Art each year.
- When you graduate, you will belong to a global network of enthusiastic SU:VPA alumni.
The illustration program's studios and classrooms are housed in Shaffer Art Building, which is also home to the Department of Transmedia, jazz studies in the Setnor School of Music, and Syracuse University Art Galleries. The building also contains a 60-seat lecture hall and the 300-seat Shemin Auditorium.
Throughout the year the illustration program and the School of Art welcomes numerous nationally and internationally known visiting artists to campus. Speakers in the illustration program include video gaming professionals, animators, editors, art directors, and illustrators, many of whom are alumni. You may interact with them through presentations, class demos, lectures, and critiques. These experiences are a critical component to your artistic growth.
Past guests have included Sophie Blackall, Steve Brodner, Marcos Chin, Joe Ciardiello, John Cuneo, Shaun Cusick, Jeffrey Decoster, Michelle Dickens '03, Mark English, Shane Evans ’92, Donato Giancola ’92, Max Ginsburg '53, Brian Gordon G’97, Sterling Hundley, Gary Kelley, Barry Mosher, George Pratt, John Rush, Elwood Smith, Joe Spadaford ’00, David Wiesner, and Eric Wilkerson.